Ankle Sprains Sprains
What is Active Release Technique (ART)?
A sprained ankle or twisted ankle as it is sometimes known, is a common cause of ankle pain. As a result of rolling your ankle Inversion and Eversion are two types of ankle sprains that can occur.
Rolling the ankle inwards causing damage to the lateral (outside) ligaments and tendons. This is the most common ankle sprain.
Rolling the ankle outward causing damage to the tendons and ligaments on the medial (inside) side of the ankle. This type of ankle sprain is not as common.
May appear immediately or 6 to 12 hours after the injury:
- May not be able to walk
- Ankle may feel warm for several hours
What can I do at home?
- R - est : stay away from activities that cause irritation
- I - ce : used to reduce inflammation. An ice massage is also very beneficial. An ice pack can be applied for 20 minutes every hour.
- C - ompression : this could be a brace, tensor, or even athletic.
- E - levation : Keep the ankle elevated above the heart.
Other treatments that will help are ultrasound, TENS, and range of motion type activities. Often a brace is required to prevent further damage, or re-injury.
** See your chiropractor or physician for further treatment **
For a more detailed explanation of exercises, call and book an appointment to speak with a chiropractor. Every program that is designed is tailored to each individual.